Friday, February 20, 2009

NOW is the time!


I'm not big into scare tactics, but I do believe in preparing for the worst. I received this info. from a reliable source and wanted to share. Sometimes, if nothing else, it's the 'fear factor' that brings us to action!!!

About a month ago a seminar was put on by Dr. Susan Puls, who is a cardiologist appointed by the First Presidency of the LDS Church as the head of the church's pandemic committee. She works with the UT state and federal pandemic planning agencies. She stated in her seminar that a pandemic is coming - not 'maybe', but DEFINITELY. She claims the pandemic is expected within the next two years but she personally believes it will be 'sooner rather than later..' The various groups (CDC, WHO, etc..) do not know what the pandemic will be but 'first among their list of suspects is the avian bird flu. It's only one mutation away from being easily transmitted from birds to humans and from human to human.' The World Health Organization expects 40% of the world population to become sick. Of those who become sick, they expect 50% will die. If you do the math - there are over 6 billion people on the earth today - that puts the death rate at over 1.4 billion people - and she says these deaths will happen over only a 3 to 4 month period of time. Dr. Puls related that when the pandemic hits the US , mandatory quarantine's of all infected and NON-INFECTED peoples will occur within the first 48 hours. Only emergency personnel (Dr's,nurses, firemen, police, national guardsmen, etc..) will be allowed to leave their homes - not even to go to the store, etc.. This quarantine will last during the duration of the 'pandemic cycle' which will last approximately three months. Her main point was that everyone will need a *MINIMUM of 3 months supply of food at home* as the governments of the world will be overwhelmed within the first week and cannot be counted on to provide food, medical help, etc.. she only briefly spoke on the 'social disruption' that will occur and did not go into any detail about what plans may, or may not exist, to deal with this.

So what do ya think? Sounds incredibly realistic to me. A 3-month supply is a must! Also, 3M makes a good surgical/respiratory mask (N95). They're inexpensive...20 pk. for $22.60 Here is the link:
http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Respirators/Disposable_Respirators/36146/?noredirect=true
Well, I'm off to Costco to buy peanut butter and toilet paper!

5 comments:

The Boyacks said...

Holy Cow - that is so scary. I need to get back into the grove of updating and adding to my food storage. I guess it takes reading something like that to make me want to get back moving on it. Too scary, not so worried about me but I worry about my children. That is why I am going to be prepared, so that I can take care of them.

kelly said...

loved this - thanks for sharing!! also, I didn't get to tell you before you left that you rocked on the piano tonight! i was so into what your were playing i didn't even get to listen to the singer - so glad mikey's piano teacher knows her stuff! your amazing

EMILEE said...

CHELLE, YOU DID AWSOME TONIGHT, YOU ARE SO AMAZING YOU HAVE SO MANY WONDERFUL TALENTS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, ALSO THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME WITH THAT BAPTISM ON VALENTINES, YOUR ALWAYS SO GOOD TO HELP. LOVE, EMILEE OLIVER

Thekrogwoman said...

Eek! That was a scare post! But truth sometimes hurts, right! I need to get adding to my supply! THanks for the 'rude' reminder. I'd rather have a 'rude reminder' than a 'rude awakening'!

Lisa Erskine said...

Ok...I'm scard now! The bird flu...what the???? I guess I need to go get some masks now, among other things. Thanks for the scare...I mean, reminder! :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed