On Saturday morning, I had a very lengthy conversation with a close friend who is on the brink of calling it quits in her marriage. Their marriage has been on the rocks for several years but some recent financial circumstances have escalated matters even more. I am sympathetic to her situation ~ she's in a very tough spot. But the fact remains...she's got a beautiful family, a good, loyal husband, and way too much at stake to give up the fight! I realized in listening to her, that it is so easy to get caught up in the "negative" aspects of our lives. Since she called me to elicit my advice, I took the opportunity to share one of my favorite quotes from President Monson and have been pondering on it ever since...
"Both abundance and lack of abundance exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend. When we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present ~ love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us happiness ~ the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth." Such a refreshing reminder from our dear prophet to 'Find Joy in the Journey'.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Finding Joy in the Journey
Posted by Chelle at 10:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
sorry about your friend. You are soo wise. Thanks for sharing that neat quote!
My mom had to speak on this topic at her Stake Enrichment night. She quoted one of the old ladies in our ward, "In the scriptures says 'It came to pass', It never says It came to stay." I love that quote. So true. What a wise friend you are.
It's so easy to get caught up in the negative spiral no matter what the situation.
Many times throughout the day I have to remind myself to find the joy.
Thanks for the quote.
I have kept coming back to this post trying to figure out the best thing to say to it. Not sure I have the words. I feel that too many people get caught up in the worldly aspects of life. I think that too many people think it's easier to go through a divorce then to try and work it out, we really do live in a throw away world.
If I didn't have an amazing husband, he would be gone by now. My health issues, surgeries, miscarriage, stillbirth babies, premature babies- wow and he is still here and yes it has been hella hard. I cannot imagine myself spending this journey with anyone else but him, for better or for worse, Thanks for this great post.
I hope your friend thinks about her decision:)
love you Chelle, I hope your feeling ok as well.
Great advice. I love that quote!
Always good advice - I loved that talk that he gave, it is one of my favorites and philip and I reflect on it often.
Post a Comment