Thursday, May 20, 2010

YEaRNingS...

"As daughters of our Heavenly Father, and as daughters of Eve, we are all Mothers and we have always been Mothers." (Sheri L. Dew - Ensign, Nov. 2001)

I've always been comforted by this quote by Sister Dew because in my heart, I have AlWaYs felt like a mother. Even while I yearned for children of my own, I never doubted my motherhood status. I knew those precious spirits would EveNTuaLLy find their way into my world one way or another. If you are also a "mother yearning to be a mother" I hope you will know in your heart that there is a divine design. We don't always understand, and frankly, my personal infertility woes STill don't make sense to me (I continue to struggle...daily), but in His omnicient way, I realize our Heavenly Father works miracles for us when we TrUsT in HiM. I'm grateful he has entrusted me with TwO beautiful, precious spirits. They are my PuRe JOY! Oh, HoW I Am BleSSeD! CeLeBrATe MoThERHooD!!!
Made this cake for Mother's Day. My friend, Susie, told me about her friend's recipe. Here it is...(thanks Susie and Summ)

Chocolate batter

1 chocolate cake mix (darker chocolate version preferred)
1 small package chocolate fudge instant pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 t vanilla

Combine all ingredients. This makes a rich, delicious and thick brownie like batter.
Grease and flour a standard size bundt pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. In my convection I started checking at 40 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/8 cup vegetable shortening (this helps the frosting to harden)
1 t vanilla
1 tsp salt
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar

Blend on high until you get the desired consistency. You want it thick. To frost, spoon frosting into a gallon freezer bag. Snip off the corner (start small and test it until you get the desired thickness). Frost cake in back and forth zig-zag pattern. Last but not least, add a silk flower.

**Note: I thought this cake was especially good served COLD. Place in refrigerator for a couple hours before serving. It is extra moist and the cream cheese frosting is to die for!

2 comments:

Navylangs said...

Oh Snap that looks good! (and so cute, too)
That may just have to be the first thing I bake once I get my stuff back on the other side.

Sue said...

I'm making this today for my mom's birthday. She would have been 62 today. We are getting together with the family to play her favorite game and eat cake. I made the batter so far and it is delicious. I can't wait to add the yummy frosting. Thanks for the recipe.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed