Friday, August 1, 2008

Bread Making Craze?!@*

So my latest experiment is making homemade bread...go figure!!! It makes me feel domestic if nothing else! I got my motivation when the price of a single loaf of dry, bread from the grocery store skyrocketed to a whoppin' $3.99. Ridiculous! My sister's visiting teacher kept bringing her fresh loaves of warm, homemade bread each month. She would call me to tell me about the flavor and texture...while I was left salivating on the other end of the line (thanks a lot, Ang) ! I begged her to get the recipe and prayed it would be an easy one! It was! 6 ingredients and I was ready to go! (Recipe posted below)
Rising bread! Here's the routine: 10 min. to mix, 30 min. to rise, 30 min. to bake! ...and just minutes to eat! Just a little over an hour from start to finish!
My stash of hard red and white wheat! I've got enough to last us a year!
Wheat Gluten and Dough Enhancer...both found at the Bosch store...miracle ingredients! My whole wheat bread works every time! I got my honey wheat recipe from my cousin, Amy, who used to work at the Bosch Kitchen Center in college. It's a fool-proof recipe with honey instead of sugar!
My wheat grinder. I have to keep it in my laundry room because it's a space hog. I borrowed it from my mom. It grinds a ton of wheat at a time. I'm grateful I didn't have to buy a new one...they're not cheap!
MY WORKHORSE!!!

Here is the easiest recipe for White Bread:
5 cups white unbleached flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 Tbsp. salt, 1.5 rounded Tbsp. saf-instant yeast, 1.5 Tbsp. liquid lecithin (found at Bosch store), 2 cups hot tap water. Mix dry ingred. in a mixer. Add lecithin and water. Mix for 1 min. then check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. If too moist, add more flour. Mix for 5 min. Spray loaf pans w/Pam. Shape loaves and cover with dish towel. Let raise for 25 min. Bake @ 350 for 25 min. This recipe makes 2 loaves of white bread *Makes great dough for pizza crust, too! Call me if you want my Honey Whole Wheat recipe. It's an easy one, too!

8 comments:

Lisa Erskine said...

Wow! That sounds really complicated to me! I've never heard of half of those ingredients! I think I'll stick to baking chocolate chip cookies! :) Maybe I need to sample the bread...if it's SUPER good...then I'll consider buying wheat, lecithin, etc...

Chelle said...

OK! It's a deal! I'll trade you bread for your cookies! When can I pick them up? Today please?

Shalise said...

Whoa! Your a betty crocker!! Look at you, the bread looks so yummy!

Navylangs said...

See - if I would have called you while I was in the land of plenty I could have actually purchased those items!
I wonder if it would work at my altitude (or lack of altitude . . .)

The Boyacks said...

Thanks for sharing I cant wait to try it. Although I might be calling for help. Where is the BOSCH Store?

Chelle said...

About 8400 So. and 700 East. My cousin (and now me!) use Bosch's recipe for the wheat bread. They have a print-out at the store with detailed instructions and helpful tips. Ask for it while your there, or on second thought...just come over one day and we'll make a batch together!!! I can get 3 large loaves out of the wheat recipe!

Emily said...

Advanced for me too--I'm not even as good as Lisa is--my chocolate chip cookies are just the Nestle ready bake kind! Amy has always been my favorite bread maker. She used to braid wheat and white dough together for a really cool loaf--you ought to ask her for that recipe too.

Thekrogwoman said...

Wow, I'm comin to your house when disaster hits!!!! You got it all together!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed